For this first recipe, I am only including the details for making a single hasselback – I am cooking for one today, and you will see that the prep stages do not require much in the way of ingredients anyway. It will be very easy for you to adapt this recipe for many potatoes.
One large potato
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp ground garlic
A pinch of sea salt
A pinch of black pepper (ground)
A pinch of dried parsley
A knob of butter
- Preheat your oven to approx. 200-220 degrees (C).
- Remove any sprouts from the potato and clean. Peel entirely if preferred – I opted to peel the top half of mine.
- Carefully slice along the top side for your potato, about halfway to two thirds down, then stop. Continue to slice every 5mm or thinner depending on your capabilities – too thin and the slices will fall apart.
- Rub garlic into the slices gently, being careful not to damage them. You could alternatively use sliced garlic cloves and place them throughout your potato.
- Sprinkle on sea salt, pepper, parsley, and drizzle on the olive oil before placing on a tray. You can also place a knob of butter on top, or try sprinkling grated parmesan over the potatoes for an extra kick of flavour.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 40min, or until cooked through (soft inside, crispy exterior).
- When cooked to completion, remove from oven and serve hot.